PEER-REVIEWED JOURNAL PAPERS
- Zhang, C., Maness, J.C., Cuthbertson, A.A., Kimura, S.Y., Liberatore, H.K., Richardson, S.D., Stanford, B.D., Sun, M., Knappe, D.R.U. “Treating water containing elevated bromide and iodide levels with granular activated carbon and free chlorine: impacts on disinfection byproduct formation and calculated toxicity”, Environmental Science: Water Research & Technology, 2020,6, pg 3460-3475
- Silva, A.O.D, Armitage, J.M., Bruton, T.A., Dassuncao, C., Heiger-Bernays, W., Hu, X.C., Kärrman, A., Kelly, B., Ng, C., Robuck, A., Sun, M., Webster, T.F., Sunderland, E.M., “PFAS Exposure Pathways for Humans and Wildlife: A Synthesis of Current Knowledge and Key Gaps in Understanding”, Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry, 2020
- He, H., Sun, M., Wu, D., Di, G., Fei, X. “Cu(III) generation and air sparging extend catalytic effectiveness of Cu2S/H2O2 from neutral to acidic condition: performance and mechanism in comparison with CuS/ H2O2”, Journal of Cleaner Production, 2021, 278(1), pg 123572
- Lou, Z., Zhou, J., Sun, M., Xu, J., Yang, K., Lv, D. Zhao, Y., Xu, X., “MnO2 enhances electrocatalytic hydrodechlorination by Pd/Ni foam electrodes and reduces Pd needs”, Chemical Engineering Journal, 2018, 352 (15), pg 549-557
- Hopkins, Z.R., Sun M., DeWitt, J.C., Knappe, D.R.U. “Recently Detected Drinking Water Contaminants: GenX and Other Per‐ and Polyfluoroalkyl Ether Acids” Journal of the American Water Works Association, 2018, 110 (7), pg 13-28
- Hao Z., Sun M., Ducoste J., Benson C.H., Luettich S., Castaldi M.J., Barlaz M.A. “Heat Generation and Accumulation in Municipal Solid Waste Landfills” Environmental Science & Technology, 2017, 51 (21), pg 12434-12442
- Sun, M., Arevalo, E., Strynar, M., Lindstrom, A., Richardson, M., Kearns, B., Smith, C., Pickett, A., and Knappe, D.R.U. “Legacy and emerging perfluoroalkyl substances are important drinking water contaminants in the Cape Fear River Watershed of North Carolina.” Environmental Science & Technology Letters, 2016, 3(12), pg 415–419.
- Sun, W., Sun, M. and Barlaz, M.A., “Characterizing the Biotransformation of Sulfur-Containing Wastes in Simulated Landfill Reactors.” Waste Management, 2016, 53, pg 82–91.
- Sun, M., Lopez-Velandia, C. and Knappe, D.R.U. “Determination of 1,4-dioxane in the Cape Fear River watershed by heated purge-and-trap preconcentration and gas chromatography–mass spectrometry.” Environmental Science & Technology, 2016. 50(5), pg 2246–2254
- Sun, M., Sun, W. and Barlaz, M.A., “A batch assay to measure microbial hydrogen sulfide production from sulfur-containing solid wastes.” Science of the Total Environment, 2016, Volumes 551–552, Pages 23–31.
- Sun, M., Lowry, G. V. and Gregory, K. B. “Selective oxidation of bromide in wastewater brines from hydraulic fracturing.” Water Research. 2013, 47 (11), pg 3723-3731.
- Sun, M., Reible, D. D., Lowry, G. V. and Gregory, K. B. “Effect of applied voltage, initial concentration and natural organic matter on sequential reduction/oxidation of nitrobenzene by graphite electrodes.” Environmental Science & Technology. 2012, 46 (11), pg 6174-6181.
- Sun, M., Yan, F., Zhang, R., Reible, D. D., Lowry, G. V. and Gregory, K. B. “Redox control and hydrogen production in sediment caps using carbon cloth electrodes.” Environmental Science & Technology. 2010, 44 (21), pg 8209-8215.
OTHER PEER-REVIEWED PUBLICATIONS
- Tian, Q., Sun, M., “Analysis of GenX and Other Per- and Polyfluoroalkyl Substances in Environmental Water Samples”, book chapter in “Evaluating Water Quality to Prevent Future Disasters” (Ahuja, S. Ed.), Separation Science and Technology, 2019, vol 11, pg 355-370
- Sun, M., Sun, W. and Barlaz, M.A., “Development of Methods to Measure the Hydrogen Sulfide Production Potential of Sulfur-Containing Wastes.” 2018, Environmental Research and Education Foundation
- Knappe, D.R.U., Lopez-Velandia, C., Hopkins, Z., and Sun, M., “Occurrence of 1, 4-Dioxane in the Cape Fear River Watershed and Effectiveness of Water Treatment Options for 1, 4-Dioxane Control.” 2016, NC Water Resources Research Institute
- Knappe, D.R.U., Ingham, R. S., Moreno-Barbosa, J. J., Sun, M., Summers, R. S. and Dougherty, T. “Evaluation of Henry’s Law Constants and Freundlich Adsorption Constants for VOCs.” 2016, Water Research Foundation.