Name: Ahmed El-Ghannam, Ph.D.
Position Title: Associate Professor
|Institution and Location||Degree||Year Conferred||Field of Study|
|Cairo University, Egypt||B.Sc.||1982||Chemistry|
|Ain Shams University, Egypt||M.Sc.||1988||Chemistry|
|University of Pennsylvania||M.E.||1993||Bioengineering|
|University of Pennsylvania||Ph.D.||1995||Bioengineering|
1984-1989 Assistant Researcher, Glass Research Department, National Research Center, Cairo, Egypt
1990-1995 Research Fellow, Department of Bioengineering, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA
1995-1996 Research Scientist, Desmos Inc., San Diego, CA
1997-2000 Researcher, Glass Research Department, National Research Center, Cairo, Egypt
2000-2001 International Visiting Scholar, Department of Bioengineering, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA
2002-2006 Assistant Professor, Center for Biomedical Engineering, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY
2007-present Associate Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering and Engineering Science, The University of North Carolina at Charlotte, Charlotte, NC
Synthesis and characterization of bone implant materials, Resorbable nano porous scaffolds for drug delivery, Release kinetics studies, Efficacy and dose response to the released drug, Toxicity studies, ICP dissolution studies of biomaterials, Design of Nano biomaterials and composites, Stem cell delivery systems, Analysis of cell-material interaction, Phenotypic expression, RTPCR gene expression, Enzymatic activity at the interface with biomaterials, Protein analysis, Protein adsorption and conformation studies, surface analyses using ESCA, ToF-SIMS, FTIR, AEM-EDX, Peptide grafting, Biomechanics of implant materials, Bioactivity properties, Animal studies, Evaluation of tissue- material interaction. Development of implant materials from the lab bench to clinical trials.
1. Materials Research Society Graduate Student Award (1993)
2. Research Fellowship, University of Pennsylvania, Department of Bioengineering (1990-1995)
3. Peace Fellowship, American AID – Egyptian Government, (1989-1990)
4. Research Fellowship, National Research Center, Cairo, Egypt, (1984-1989)
1. El-Ghannam A., Karima A., Omran M. Nano Porous Delivery System to Treat Osteomyelitis and Regenerate Bone: Gentamicin Release Kinetics and Bactericidal Effect Journal of Biomedical Materials Research, 73B, 2: 277-284 (2005).
2. Ning C.Q., Mehta J. and El-Ghannam A, Effects of Silica on the Bioactivity of Calcium Phosphate Composite in vitro Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Medicine, 16, (2005) 355-360.
3. Ahmed El-Ghannam, Bone Reconstruction: From Bioceramics to Tissue Engineering, Review article, Expert Review of Medical Devices, 2(1) 87-101 (2005). 4. Gautam Gupta, Ali Zbib, Ahmed El-Ghannam, Marwan Khraisheh, Hussein Zbib. Characterization of a novel bioactive composite using advance X-ray computed tomography, Composite Structures, 71, 423-428 (2005).
5. A. El-Ghannam, C. Q. Ning. Effect of bioactive ceramic dissolution on the mechanism of bone mineralization and guided tissue growth in vitro. Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part A, 76, 386-397, (2006).
6. Gautam Gupta, Sreenatha Kirakodu, Ahmed El-Ghannam, Dissolution kinetics of a Si-rich nanocomposite and its effect on osteoblast gene expression Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part A, Vol 80A, 2, 486-496, (2007).
7. Gautam Gupta, Ahmed El-Ghannam, Sreenatha Kirakodu, Marwan Khraisheh, Hussein Zbib. Enhancement of osteoblast gene expression by mechanically compatible porous Si rich nanocomposite Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part B: Applied Biomaterials, Vol 81B, 2, 387-396, (2007).
8. Ahmed El-Ghannam, Larry Cunningham, David Pienkowski, Amanda Hart. Bone Engineering of the Ulna of Rabbit J. Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, J Oral Maxillofac Surg 65:1495-1502, (2007)
9. Ahmed El-Ghannam, Amanda Hart, Larry Cunningham, Dean White. Evaluation of SCPC toxicity on liver, spleen, heart, kidney and lungs of Rabbits after implantation in a segmental bone defect Journal of Biomedical Materials Research, Part A, Accepted (2008).
10. El-Ghannam A., Ning, C. Q. and Mehta J, Cyclosilicate nanocomposite: A novel resorbable bioactive tissue engineering scaffold for BMP and bone-marrow cell delivery Journal of Biomedical Materials Research, Volume 71A, 3, 377-390 (2004).
11. Ahmed El-Ghannam, Advanced Bioceramic Composite for Bone Tissue Engineering: Design Principles and Structure-Bioactivity Relationship J. Biomed Mat Res, 1;69A(3):490- 501 (2004)
12. El-Ghannam A., Hany Amin, Tamer Nasr, Ashraf Shama, Surface Modified Bioactive Glass Enhances Bone Regeneration and Graft Material Resorption in Cortical and Human Maxillary Cystic Bone Defects, The International Journal of Oral & Maxillofacial Implants, Vol 19, 2, (2004)
13. 9. El-Ghannam A., Starr L., and Jones J., Laminin 5 Coating Enhances Epithelial Cell Attachment, Spreading, and Hemidesmosome Assembly on Ti-6Al-4V Implant Material in vitro, J. Biomed. Mater. Res., 41, 1, 30-40 (1998)
14. 10. El-Ghannam A., Ducheyne P., and Shapiro I., “The Effect of Serum Protein Adsorption on Osteoblast Adhesion to Bioactive Glass and Hydroxyapatite, J. Orthop. Res., 3, 17, 340- 345 (1999)
15. 11. El-Ghannam A., Hamzawy E., and Yehia A., “Effect of Bioactive Glass Crystallization on Corrosion Behavior, Zeta Potential and Protein Adsorption, J. Biomed. Mater. Res., 55, 3, 387-396 (2001)
16. Ning C.Q., Greish Y. and El-Ghannam A, Crystallization behavior of Silica-Calcium Phosphate Biocomposites: XRD and FTIR Studies Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Medicine, 15 (2004) 1227-1235.
17. 12. Phan PV, Grzanna M, Chu J, Polotsky A, El-Ghannam A, Van Heerden D, Hungerford DS, Frondoza CG. The effect of silica-containing calcium-phosphate particles on human osteoblasts in vitro. J Biomed Mater Res. 67A(3): 1001-8 (2003).
18. El-Ghannam A., Ducheyne P, Risbud M, Adams C. S, Shapiro I. M , Castner D, Golledge S, Composto R. J., Model Surfaces Engineered with Nanoscale Roughness and RGD Tripeptides Promote Osteoblast Activity, Journal of Biomedical Materials Research, 15;68A(4):615-27 (2004).
1. El-Ghannam A., Resorbable, Porous, Silica-Calcium Phosphate Bioactive Composite For Improved Synthetic Graft Resorbability and Tissue Regeneration US patent No. 7,223,414B1 (2007)
2. Ducheyne P., El-Ghannam A., Shapiro I., “Bioactive Material Template For in vitro Synthesis of Bone-Like Tissue,” US patent number 5,643,789 (1997)
3. Ducheyne P., El-Ghannam A., Shapiro I., “Bioactive Material Template For in vitro Synthesis of Bone-Like Tissue,” US patent number 5,648,301 (1997) 4. Ducheyne P., El-Ghannam A., Shapiro I., “Method of Forming a Porous Glass Substrate, US patent number 5, 676, 720 (1997)
Selected Refereed Conference Proceedings
1. Ahmed El-Ghannam, Didier Dr au, SCPC-5-FU A Novel Nanocomposite Drug Delivery System for Cancer Treatment. 8th World Biomaterials Conference, Amsterdam, The Netherland (2008)
2. Ahmed El-Ghannam, Gloria Elliot, Amie Sparnell, Preservation of Mesenchymal Stem Cells on SCPC Matrix: A New Therapy Strategy for Major Bone Loss. The Orthopedic Society for Biomaterials (2008)
3. Aniket, Ahmed El-Ghannam, Zeta Potential of Silica-Calcium Phosphate Nano composite: Effect of Material Composition and Medium pH. Proceedings of the America Society of Mechanical Engineering, Summer Bioengineering Conference, (2008)
4. Xueran Liu, Ahmed El-Ghannam, Effect of Processing Parameters on the Microstructure and Mechanical Behavior of Nano Bioceramic, Proceedings of the America Society of Mechanical Engineering, Summer Bioengineering Conference, (2008)
5. El-Ghannam, A; Cunningham, L; Pienkowski, D; Hart, A. A resorbable bone tissue engineering scaffold for load bearing applications. Orthopedic Research Society Meeting, Chicago, Illinois (2006)
6. Gupta, G; Kirakodu, S; El-Ghannam, A., Bone cell differentiation on a novel porous Si nanocomposite with high mechanical strength. Orthopedic Research Society Meeting, Chicago, Illinois (2006)
7. Gautam Gupta, Ahmed El-Ghannam. Serum Proteins Limit the Kinetics of Surface Reactions in Novel Porous Bioactive Nanocomposites, Annual Meeting Society for Biomaterials, (2006)
8. El-Ghannam A., C.Q.Ning., Mechanism of Bone Formation and Guided Tissue Growth at the Interface with Resorbable Bioactive Implant, Annual Meeting Society for Biomaterials, Pittsburg, PA (2006)
9. Gautam Gupta, Ahmed El-Ghannam, Effect of Composition on Porosity, Mechanical Strength and Corrosion of Silica-Calcium Phosphate Composites, Society For Biomaterials Annual Meeting and Exposition: New Applications and Technologies, Memphis, Tennessee, (2005).
10. El-Ghannam A., Karima A., Omran M, Nanocomposite For Antibiotics Delivery To Treat Osteomyelitis, Society For Biomaterials Annual Meeting and Exposition: New Applications and Technologies, Memphis, Tennessee, (2005).
11. El-Ghannam A., Karima A., Omran M, Advanced Bone Tissue Engineering Scaffold for Antibiotic Delivery, Surfaces in Biomaterials, Baltimore (2004).
12. Amanda Hart, Congqin Ning, Larry Cunningham, Ahmed El-Ghannam, Bone Engineering of the Ulna of Rabbit, Society For Biomaterials, Philadelphia, (2004).
13. Harini Raman, Jie Cai, Dave Puleo, Ahmed-El Ghannam, Anorganic Bovine Hydroxyapatite-PLGA Composites for Bone Tissue Engineering Society For Biomaterials, Philadelphia, (2004).
14. El-Ghannam A., C. Q. Ning, J. Mehta, SCPC-rhBMP-2-Bone Marrow Cell Hybrid: A Potential Substitute for Bone Autograft Society For Biomaterials, Philadelphia, (2004).
1991-present Editorial board member for the Journal of Biomedical Materials Research-Part A, the Official Journal of the Society of Biomaterials Reviewer for manuscripts submitted for publications to peer reviewed journals: Journal of Biomedical Materials Research-Part B
Biomaterials, Cells and Materials, Clinical Materials, Acta Biomaterialia and Journal of Materials Science-Materials in Medicine
Chair, Consultant and Referee for Scientific Agencies
2005-2006 Program Chair
Elected Chair for the Tissue Engineering Special Interest Group, Society for Biomaterials
2005-2006 Program Manger
Elected program manager for the Drug Delivery Systems Special Interest Group, Society for Biomaterials
2005 Referee for the Health Research Board, Ireland
International peer reviewer for Research proposals submitted to the Health
Research Board in Ireland,
2005-2006 Eligibility Reviewer NSF
Eligibility Consultant for the 2006 National Science Foundation (NSF) Graduate
Research Fellowship Program (GRFP) in the Bioengineering fields.
2003-present Referee for the Society of Biomaterials, USA
For the last five years served as a reviewer of the research abstracts submitted for presentation at the Annual Meeting of the Society for Biomaterials
2004 Referee for NIH Grant Proposal
Reviewer for the National Institute of Health USA, Nano-Biotechnology program
2004-2006 Referee for professor promotion, University of Kentucky
Evaluate the research outputs of Assistant and Associate professors for
promotion at University of Kentucky
2005-2006 Referee for professor promotion, University of the Witwatersrand, South Africa
Evaluate the research outputs of the director of the Bone Research Unit,
University of the Witwatersrand, South Africa, and his standing as a researcher
2002 External Reviewer for the National University of Singapore
Reviewer for the research projects submitted to the Department of Chemical and Environmental Engineering, in the area of Bioengineering and Tissue Engineering systems, The National University of Singapore